Monday, September 19, 2011

Easiest Cookies Ever!

Dad and I have a tradition. Cookies for touchdowns. Every time the Broncos score a touchdown, we get to eat a cookie. This tradition shows the lengths we will go to to support our team. There have had to be some amendments to this tradition. When the season ends with a 4-12 record, there are not too many touchdowns that we can celebrate. So we added field goals to the celebration. Some games went cookie-less. I believe that there was even a game that we were so desperate that we said first downs earned a cookie.

When we had season tickets and went to every game, Mom would send the cookies with Dad to take to the game. Now we don't have the tickets anymore, and I really can't complain. It took 6 hours out of the day for a 3 hour game. Between getting to the bus to take us to the stadium, the bus ride to the game, getting into the stadium, watching the game, getting back to the bus, the bus ride back to the car and then getting back home, it was an endurance event! Not to mention the weather. I am a fair weather fan. I can take the cold, but once it gets wet and windy you will find me in the bathroom with my hands under the hand dryer!

So, not being one to break tradition, I had to have cookies for yesterday's game. It was a home game, so if we had the tickets we would have been at the game with cookies. Now Dad and I will carry on the tradition, but either at my house or at his house for all home games. I hadn't filled MM in on the tradition of cookies for touchdowns however. So when Dad and I came in from our bike ride I told MM of the necessity and being a loyal Bronco fan himself and not wanting to jinx anything he was very supportive.

These cookies are fast, easy,  and terribly delicious!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Flourless Cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
Combine the above ingredients with a mixer until combined.

Add in 1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chunks. I also added 1/2 cup of walnuts and 1/2 cup of dried cranberries. You can really add in whatever you want.

If you are only adding one mix-in you can still make cookies instead of bars. Form 1 1/2" balls of dough on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 10-12 min at 350.

If you are adding in more than one mix-in, the dough won't hold together as a cookie, so I made it into a bar. Spread all the dough in a 9X13 jelly roll pan, sprayed with cooking spray, that has at least a 1" high edge, or use a cake pan. Press the dough evenly on the bottom of the pan. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min. Begin checking on the cookie at 15 min. Once the center is golden brown it is done. The edges will obviously finish before the center. But the crust is the best part if you ask me!

 For the opening game against the Raiders we didn't have cookies. We had Mom's apple pie. It was probably her best apple pie she has ever made. But the Broncos lost. We had cookies yesterday for the home game against the Bengals. We won. Don't mess with tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment